Sunday, July 12, 2009

Fiji: Touchdown

It was still dark as we drove along the countryside away from the airport. Dorinda, my host, introduced me to the surroundings and answered my questions regarding Microfinance Unit West; namely, why they charge a savings fee (5 cents per dollar) and a withdrawal fee (3 dollars). Wouldn't that actually discourage the poor from using microservices? Apparently, banks in Fiji have a monthly charge for keeping savings, making them even more expensive than our group, Microfinance Fiji West (for the poor).

Going up a steed driveway, we arrived a D’s house—a nice place surrounded by coconut palms, banana trees, chili plants, and taro. I met an endearing old man, the uncle of D’s husband (also Sam), named Uncle Tom. And no, I was so tired Uncle Tom’s Cabin didn’t even come to mind. Haha anyway, Uncle Tom was sitting outside with a huge barbell (wtf). Turns out, he was only using it as a support to weave his fishing net on.  He had a quick breakfast of bread, eggs, and tea, and headed off to work.

The office is located in the middle of town, yet is completely inconspicable. It’s located on the second floor of a building, and the only sign is so small that I barely noticed it when I stood right by the doorway. Walking up some stairs, we reached the main office and I met the current employees of the Lautoka office: Dorinda, Sam, John, Ravi, Ana, Vina, Vena, Joey, Emma, Kini, Louis. Yep, just eleven employees here at the main branch. Apparently, there are 3 more branches with a total of thirteen employees. Welcome to the biggest Microfinance Organization in Fiji.

The Peace Corp worker, Tim, arrived later in a Hawaiian print shirt and a traditional Fiji garment, the Sulu. A skirt. Can’t quite get used to the look lol. Apparently, I was quite tired (aka dozing off), and Dorinda noticed. We left the office around 11 and she dropped me back at her home before leaving for the Sigatoka Office.

I went straight to bed, and repeatedly fell asleep/woke up, so many times that I would have sworn it was night except for the fact that it was still light out. Finally getting up, I headed to the living room and found Uncle Tom, who was watching some English show about stealing cars. And Power Rangers. Apparently, he spends the days making his net (just a month more to complete) and watching TV. We talked about his life, which mianly included him talking excitedly and gesturing while I nodded and laughed like a I understood what the hell was goingo n. I did get that he played rugby , likes fishing, and once landed a shark (what a BA). According to him, he was fishing when a shark ate his hooked fish, so he and his buddies pulled it up, and chopped off its tail. What a fun guy.

 

Interesting tidbits:

Sam: “There’s few shark attacks. Like once a year. And that’s cuz one fisherman tie his fish to his pants, you know. You can’t blame the shark, we’re the ones trespassing in his territory”

Uncle Tom (about Hitomi, the Japanese girl living here): The Japanese girl! She’s moving out with her boyfriend. Eh? Coming to Fiji to make love with Japanese heh.

Everyone thinks I’m Japanese. Everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment